Barbados Chicken Kebabs
4 cloves garlic
1 onion, cut into 6 wedges
2 habanero peppers, seeded
1 bunch green onions, chopped into 1 inch pieces
1 tablespoon dried thyme
1 1/2 teaspoons ground allspice
1 inch piece fresh ginger root, peeled
salt and pepper to taste
3/4 cup rum
3/8 cup dark molasses
4 limes, zested and juiced
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch pieces
1. Put garlic, onion, habanero peppers, green onions, thyme,
allspice, and ginger into the bowl of a food processor, blending until smooth.
2. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Transfer mixture to a large,
non metallic bowl, and stir in rum, molasses, and lime zest and
juice. Place chicken in bowl, and turn to coat. Cover, and marinate
for 24 hours.
3. Preheat grill for high heat.
4. Remove meat from marinade, and thread onto skewers. Boil marinade
in a small saucepan for at least 3 minutes.
5. Brush grate with oil, and arrange skewers on hot grate.
6. Slowly cook the chicken until slightly charred and cooked through,
brushing with the marinade every time you turn the meat.